Kullander and Essen’s Unscientific Behavior on Swedish Television

Dec 272012

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/news/2012/Essen-Kullander-Swedish-Professors-Continue-to-Believe-Hoax.jpg
Dec. 27, 2012 – By Steven B. Krivit –
(Updated 11:20 a.m.)

Evidence for Rossi’s claim of extraordinary production of excess-heat from his E-Cat rested on the assumption that all water going through his device was vaporized into steam. This was not the case, as would have been revealed by rudimentary measurements of steam versus water output.

Two Swedish scientists, Hanno Essén and Sven Kullander, appearing on Swedish public television on Dec. 17 continued their endorsement of Andrea Rossi and his Energy Catalyzer. This New Energy Times article is in response to that program and presents a critical review of the behavior of these scientists and a review of the potential consequences of their actions.

Essén is a theoretical physicist and lecturer at the Swedish Royal Institute of Technology. He is the former chairman of the Swedish Skeptics Association. Kullander is a professor emeritus at Uppsala University and chairman of the Swedish National Academy of Sciences Energy Committee.

All evidence for Rossi’s extraordinary claim of kilowatts of excess heat from his E-Cat device hung on the qualitative as well as quantitative measurements of steam, had those measurements been made. By July 30, 2011, evidence collected by New Energy Times made clear that these measurements had not been performed and that the Rossi device was a hoax, if not a fraud.

In 2006, Essén had proposed a “cold fusion” theory but nobody paid attention to it.  When Essén learned about Rossi’s device in 2011, he hoped that it would finally demonstrate experimental confirmation for his theory. Essén believed Rossi’s claim before he went to see the device and without seeing a published peer-reviewed scientific paper about Rossi’s claims. Essén bypassed customary scientific practice of proper skeptical evaluation of extraordinary claims and assumed that Rossi had performed competent measurements of excess heat and that he carefully reported all the technical features and experimental results of his E-Cat device honestly.

Neither of them performed even basic due diligence on Rossi and his past. Essén and Kullander had no idea that Rossi had a longstanding white-collar criminal history, including a conviction for fraud. They had no idea that, at one time, Rossi was a fugitive who went to the U.S. after he abandoned a hazardous waste dump in Italy which was the result of one of his earlier failed energy ventures. Had they known these pertinent facts, as scientists, they might have approached Rossi’s present technical claims with much greater caution, given his previous trail of apparent deception and misdeeds involving for-profit technology companies.

Before Kullander had seen Rossi’s device, and in the absence of both a published journal paper and an independent replication, Kullander went on record stating that the public must embrace Rossi’s claim. Kullander accepted as credible Rossi’s self-published paper on his blog. Rossi then invited Essén and Kullander, at Rossi’s expense, to travel to Italy to observe a demonstration of the Energy Catalyzer’s excess-heat production on March 29, 2011. Essén and Kullander ignored the fact that they did not see any production of large amounts of extremely hot steam.

The only diagram of the Rossi device available at the time was this one, from Giuseppe Levi, a physics professor at the University of Bologna:

In the course of learning more about Rossi’s device, New Energy Times drafted the following schematic, which includes the all-important outlet on the right side for water or steam to exit.

When they saw the device in Bologna, Essén and Kullander did not notice that Rossi was obscuring the liquid-phase water output from the device. They were not concerned about Rossi’s feeding the output through an opaque plastic tube down into a plumbing drain pipe through a hole in the wall where a sink used to exist.

Rossi prepares to remove the hose from the drain hole in the wall to show the steam output during Krivit’s on-site visit in June 2011.

Without seeing a credible scientific paper or credible scientific data or performing an extensive long-term, independent test, Essén and Kullander convinced themselves that Rossi’s claim was real. On April 3, 2011, they published their trip report in a Swedish news magazine, Ny Teknik, and concluded, “Any chemical process for producing 25 kWh from any fuel in a 50 cm3 container can be ruled out. The only alternative explanation is that there is some kind of a nuclear process that gives rise to the measured energy production.”

Problem: A nuclear process was not  “the only alternative explanation.”

Problem: Kullander and Essen didn’t check carefully to see that Rossi was not feeding unvaporized water down the hole.

Fig. 2: Rossi’s E-Cat is designed to feed unvaporized water down the drain and thus deceive observers who fail to notice the lack of a high flux of steam output.

Problem: Kullander and Essén never saw kilowatts of steam, as claimed by Rossi, coming out of the device. They saw steam equivalent to that produced by an electric tea kettle, as we showed  in our investigation “The Failure of Rossi’s Energy Catalyzer, Caught on Video.” Go to 11:25 in the video to see the amount of steam coming from Rossi’s device.

On June 23, 2011, New Energy Times sent an e-mail to Essén.

“Can you please go to 11 minutes 30 seconds on this video that I filmed last week in Bologna and tell me if the velocity of the steam you saw coming out of the valve, compared to the velocity visible at 11:30 in my video, was the same, slightly slower, slightly faster, much slower or much faster?”

Essén replied on July 5, 2011.

“The steam speed at least seems to be of the same order of magnitude,” Essén wrote.

On July 6, 2011, New Energy Times sent an e-mail to Essén.

Your report stated a 6.57-liter-per-hour input flow rate of liquid water. As you know, liquid water expands 1,600 times in volume when it vaporizes to steam.

Thus, if all the liquid was coming out as steam, you should have seen 10,512 liters-per-hour output flow rate of steam from the ~10mm (inner diameter) steam outlet valve. In your estimation, was the steam flow rate you observed from the valve on the Energy Catalyzer within a order of magnitude of 10,512-liters-per-hour?

Essén did not respond. On July 8, 2011, New Energy Times sent an e-mail to Essén.

In your  April 3 report, you wrote, “At about 10:45, all the water is completely vaporized found by visual checks of the outlet tube and the valve letting out steam from the chimney.”

Q1. Can you please explain your “visual checks” to me in greater detail?

Q2. How do you know that liquid water was not flowing out of the chimney, through the opaque outlet hose, and then down the drain?

On July 8, 2011, New Energy Times reader Mitchell Randall sent an e-mail to Essén. Randall had already discussed this with Essén. Randall provided an April 19,  2011, e-mail that he had received from Essén in response to his question about how Essén confirmed that “all the water is completely vaporized found by visual checks.”